Thursday 9 April 2009

The Representation of Doctor Who

Now, faithful reader, before I go on I have to tell you this is not all about fandom. In fact, I've had my fill of that, at least for a while, well, at least the daft flame war malarky.

The way I figure it, DWF is all but ignoring all the nonsense that has goneon, and AWF is actually posting funny blogs that have nothing to do with the carry on in the past. After taking a wee look and stepping back, I noticed that the only places throwing insults around were AWF's comment pages and, we, us at Skaro. I'm a little embarrassed about that, plus, to be fair, I'm getting a bit fed up with being everyone's whipping boy, so, for now, I think it's only right that we all pull in the same direction and just get on with Doctor Who. That's the main thing here, the rest is just t'internet bollocks. So, that's what I'm gonna do.

Now, the "saviour" stuff in my last blog. Guys, come on now, that's a bloody joke! Has everyone lost their sense of humour? I thought irony was our thing! Clearly not, so, like all bad comedians, I've had to explain it... hohum...

Right, onto new stuff.

Has anyone been to the Doctor Who Exhibition in Blackpool recently? Bloody hell! Now, I presume it's been closed during winter. They've had plenty time for maintenance, a lick of paint (2 tins for £20 in B&Q btw) and maybe the odd bit of dusting. I went yesterday and was wholly, wholly disappointed. The older eps are well represented with a few decent props and costumes, but they really need a bit of a clean, and, of course, a lot of it looks very tacky (although, to be fair, this isn't probably its fault, it's more likely what the Beeb gave them. A lot of Doctor Who props and costumes WERE a bit tacky). Things like Sylv's and Peter's hat squashed into an unrecognisable mess, no representation of a "classic" Tom Baker, no, as far as I could see, "original" sonic screwdriver (or new one, for that matter) and some very badly set exhibits of old monsters - a couple of different vervoid displays, oddly.

I mean, of course, there is always a fanboy thrill to see these things close up, but also a huge disappointment when, em, seeing these things close up. But the classic series is one thing, I get why props and models and costumes which are at least twenty years old can look a bit knackered.

What really got to me was the "new" series stuff. What a waste. I know for a fact there is no shortage of new series props and costume. I also know from first hand experience these things are chunkier, slicker and more realistic in real life than ever before, but, em, where are they at Blackpool? A Human Nature scarecrow I think was the newest piece, but sans head, bizarrely. And it seems someone had it away with Jabe's, too. The display is filled with End of the World mannequins, and, as I said, looks not to have been updated, since series 3. There is no representation of new Cybermen with the exception of one helmet and one standee. No new style Daleks either, except a standee, and nothing at all on the Master or Sontarans or Ice Warriors. Not even a Zygon. Oh, but they do have a Navarino! Hmph. A lot of the exhibits are up high, and hard to see, some of the lights don't work in the displays and I noticed a full rail of costumes, up above the display cabinets that were impossible to detail.

Another thing that was disappointing was the condition of the place - there were actually people screwing things in when I got there, and the whole "new" section was grubby and unkempt. There are huge holes in the ceiling, for instance. The mannequins looked like they had been knocked out of natural poses and just left.

Then there's the prices. I'm no mean Scotsman, and I was fully willing to go there and buy the illusive sixth Doctor figure to complete my collection - and Giant Robot - but £20? £7 in Tescos I think! Even Forbidden Planet do it for under £15. They were selling VHS's for a £10! A tenner! For a video! You can by dvds for under a £5 in WH Smiths. And the whole thing cost £20 for a family ticket.

So I was disappointed, I have to say, and since I was hoping to show off a bit to my partner, a little embarrassed by it. I reckon all it would need is someone who gave a monkeys about the programme - rather than just employing "people" - and it could sparkle. I'm sure a request to the BBC would get them new props and costumes.

Anyway, 6/10... must try harder.

Happy Times and Places

Eddie

3 comments:

Clipster said...

Greetings from a far away land!

For the sake of understanding of what is going on here, may I ask what AWF is/are?
I am relatively new to Who fandom and I think I might be really clueless as to whats going on.

Eddie said...

Hiya Clipster

Honestly, mate, I'd be doing you kno favours if I pointed you in the direction of AWF... however... click on my link to Outpost Skaro. As a Dr Who fan, I'm sure you'll find that more to your liking.

Clipster said...

lol ok, thanks :)