Thursday 21 May 2009

The Way It Is

You know, faithful reader, I'm very proud of Outpost Skaro. I haven't always been, it has to be said. But now, I am. We have a great forum, there, and, it has to be said, it's even greater now I'm not head honcho.

One man's voice always sounds like the right one in his own head. It isn't always though. Skaro was born out of a fight, and it came out of the womb kicking and screaming. And it's interesting to see how first impressions last.

On DWF recently there was a thread about bad experiences in fora, and, inevitably (because we ARE the best alternative) Skaro came up. A couple of people really do have the wrong impression. It's been described as insular and paranoid, and suggests that the Moderators attack people without provocation.

Right here, I'd like to apologise if that has happened to anyone. In the early days, Skaro was finding its feet, and was being attacked on all sides by a lot of very nasty people with some very nasty things to say. People like MLock and Fat Boab warned me via private messages that they would deliberately go out to spoil it and they almost did. Perhaps we overreacted then, and others got caught in that flack. That isn't right. Sorry folks.

Another thing we are accused of is being a DWF (Doctor Who Forum) basher. I'd like to say catergorically that this is not the case. We discuss FANDOM in Skaro, all aspects of it, and, of course, DWF is the foremost forum on the net, so must by definition come into that remit. I've said before that it is a wonderful forum. It is a fabulous place full of fabulous people and, on the whole, run by fabulous people too. Shaun Lyon is professional, gentlemanly and a thoroughly decent egg.

Because it is so vast though, unfortunately it attracts the same bad guys we do. And those guys are very established there. One of them - a fellow who goes by the name of Doc Filth - hounded a female poster to the point where he threatened to visit her at her place of work and threatened that "he knew where she lived". This is very sinister, and most distressing for the woman in question. I'm sure no one would condone such creepy threats, even if they were meant in jest. My own treatment - from the likes of AWF, Co-Ordinator, 72lf and Mlock - pales into insignificance next to that.

But we must be careful to realise that these guys are NOT DWF. It can be a distinction that is difficult to realise sometimes, due to their high profile, but it is an important and vital one. DWF is the wonderful Canterbury, or Reeecey or the fabulous Mrs Jo Smith. Its doctorwho2008, it's Aspidistra, it's the genius boys and girls in the Toy section - go their, those guys are friendly, welcoming, warm and funny. It's shinyford and his wonderful fanfic, and it's Future Regeneration and his much anticipated audio plays. It's Arisia, and her cool head, and it's Lucy_Who who takes no shit - and rightly so.

Lately, though, there has evolved a new and sinister development. The abusers, by their nature, crave attention of the people with a profile. I have such a profile, of course, so I am constantly bombarded with abusive messages on the fora I visit. Of course, the upside is that I get a lot of nice attention too, and that is very welcome. However, this new thing, is the cult of "one on one". People who, whilst they may visit the Outpost Skaro and they may even do more than lurk there, feel it necessary to engage me on a one to one level.

The latest of these is a young lady called Isobel Clarke. She claims I'm old enough to be her dad, so she must be all of a teenager, but, boy, she has issues. Accusations and name calling abound, a girl who craves the one to one attention of myself for a reason I can only guess at. I reckon it's the thrill of kicking the sleeping tiger. You know the kid who waits til the big guy's knocked out then creeps up behind the bullies and hits him a kick? It must be quite thrilling, to hold me in such high regard, call me names AND get a personal reply. What a rush, I'd imagine. Poor girl. She engaged me over the course of a week, and got increasingly manic with every correspondence. A shame really, she was almost clever. I wish her well.

My point is, it's a new phenomenon. She wasn't after the notoriety of eejits like Fat Boab who tried to engage me in the forum, so they can say "hey guys, check me out, I just called Eddie a cunt...", it was a much more intimate form of engagement. Rather sad. I know a few of the Mods in Skaro have had similar experiences. It's weird. A little violating. Maybe for them too.

However, Skaro flourishes. We're ignoring the latest shot over our bow by the fabulously funny Angry Who Fan and taking it in the spirit in which it was delivered. Satire. We are of course a good target because we're big and loud and powerful in opinion. We're also a recognised voice now, and that's a good thing, so, like the best Rory Bremner episode, I'd rather be the Prime Minister being satired than the back bencher being ignored. The good thing about the publicity afforded by the AWF and DWF is that our membership always swells, and the people who join can see for themselves that we are open and honest and funny and genuine. No vitriol, no nastiness, no name calling. Just honest debate, the occasional peak inside the workings of Doctor Who and membership to the (and I say this as a punter, now I've reliquished control) best new forum since DWF.

Maybe if you happen across this blog, and you're not a member yet, click on the link and join the fun. It's the place to be.

Happy times and places


Eddie

No comments: